The locks and the Rideau Canal
From May 15 to June 21
- Monday to Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- From Friday to Sunday and Victoria Day from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
From June 22 to September 7
- Monday to Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday to Sunday and Canada Day *, municipal holiday in August and Labor Day from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
*The Beveridges Lockstation will also provide an arrival lockage service for the entire season and will be open the same hours as the rest of the Rideau Canal.
September 8 to October 12
- Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday, Thanksgiving 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
NOTE : Lock stations are unmanned after opening hours. Authorized visitors are asked to use the premises with caution. Unauthorized access to lock stations is prohibited between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. In case of an after-hours emergency, please call 911 for police, fire department, ambulance. To report illegal harvesting of fish or wildlife, please contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forests at
Opening hours for 2020
LAST LOCKAGE – IMPORTANT –
Follow these guidelines to maximize chances of being locked through at the end of the day: At lockstations with one lock, boaters must arrive at the designated blue line 30 minutes before closing.
- At lockstations with more than one lock, 30 minutes per lock chamber is required. (i.e. three locks, arrive 90 minutes before closing).
- At swing bridges, including Brass Point Bridge, boaters must arrive 20 minutes before closing
Tips for a Successful Journey
- New to Boating? Talk to our friendly lock staff for tips and information on locking through safely. Have fun!
- Station opening and closing times, as well as first and last lockage, are not guaranteed and may be affected by water management duties, maintenance activities or other types of navigation interruption.
- Seasonal overnight mooring permits are also valid for use Thousand Islands National Park, Georgian Bay Island National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Conservation Area (boaters using a campsite must also pay a camping fee).
Maximum Overnight Mooring Period
- 2 nights – All lockstations
Note : Overnight Mooring passes include one free camp site
Rideau Canal navigation charts 1512 (Ottawa-Smiths Falls) and 1513 (Smiths Falls to Kingston) are sold at several lockstations.
- Pretoria and Hog’s Back bridges
Pretoria and Hog’s Back bridges will not operate Monday to Friday (except on statutory holidays) from 12:30 pm – 1:15 pm and 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm.
- Abbott Street Swing Bridge (Smiths Falls Detached Lock)
At Smiths Falls Detached Lock, the bridge will operate upon arrival throughout the navigation season.
NOTE: Boat wake, wash and excessive speeds are major concerns along the Rideau Canal. Please drive at a safe speed and keep boat wake and wash to a minimum, especially when approaching smaller vessels, canoes and kayaks.
Date modified : 2020-01-01